Safety tips for your clean up event
DO use caution around creek banks—they can be muddy and slippery.
DO stay clear of homeless encampments.
DO wear gloves at all times.
DO be alert for stinging insects and snakes.
DO stay in your group or work with a buddy.
DO be cautious of poisonous plants like poison oak.
DO lift with your legs, not with your back.
DO handle sharp objects (glass) with care — children should NOT pick up broken glass.
DO stop work before dusk.
- DO wear long pants and substantial leather shoes or boots with ankle support.
- DO NOT go in the water.
- DO NOT pick up heavy and/or awkward objects such as tires or large pieces of scrap metal — let us pick those items up for you.
- DO NOT pick up any objects which you suspect may be toxic or hazardous such as hypodermic needles, syringes, chemical drums, bloody clothing, chemicals, suspicious packages, and weapons. Notify the water district at
1-888-510-5151 of the location of toxic substances immediately.
- DO NOT pick up dead animals.
- DO NOT run, throw objects or engage in horseplay.
- DO NOT overexert yourselves! Take breaks; drink plenty of water especially on warm, humid days.
- DO NOT stomp on bags. Injuries may occur from broken glass or sharp objects.