The Landscape Conversion Rebate increased to $2 per square foot for converting high water using landscape (i.e. irrigated turf or functional swimming pool) to low water using landscape. For more information, please call the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554. These increases are temporary, through June 30, 2015, and certain restrictions apply. Applications postmarked between January 1, 2015 and June 30, 2015 will be held to a $50,000 per site cap.
Do not begin your landscape conversion or irrigation hardware upgrade project until you have had a pre-inspection survey and you have received a written Notice to Proceed from the Santa Clara Valley Water District.
Important Program Note: Sites that have been denied participation in the Landscape Rebate Program for not meeting the initial program eligibility requirements will not be allowed to re-apply for the rebate within three (3) years of the initial pre-inspection or denial date, whichever is the latter.
Please read the new terms and conditions as well as the qualifying plant and irrigation hardware lists prior to submission of your application. Do not begin your project until you have had a pre-inspection survey and you have received a written notice to proceed from the District. For a list of landscape professionals that have had experience working with the Landscape Rebate Program, click here.
The District's Landscape Rebate Program provides the following rebates:
The Landscape Rebate Program is available for Santa Clara County residents, businesses, and institutions that convert qualifying high water using landscape (i.e. irrigated turf or functional swimming pool) to water efficient landscape and/or upgrade to qualifying irrigation hardware that results in water savings. In order to qualify, you must participate in a pre-inspection survey prior to applying for the program.
How do I participate?
Steps to Proceed
1. To schedule a pre-inspection survey, please contact the appropriate program listed below, or call the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554. The surveyor will determine eligibility for the Landscape Rebate Program and complete the qualifying information on a Request for Application Form. Customers participating in just the Irrigation Equipment Rebate may be eligible to participate in an expedited pre-inspection. Please contact the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 for more details.
Residents: Please call the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 to schedule a pre-inspection. Residents can also receive a pre-inspection by participating in a Water-Wise House Call. Please contact (800) 548-1882 or click here to schedule a Water Wise House Call. San Jose Water Company customers, please call (408) 279-7900 to schedule a Water Audit. San Jose Water Company customers need to specify interest in the Landscape Rebate Program.
Businesses: Includes institutions, commercial businesses, and multi-family properties with 5,000 square feet or more of irrigated landscape. Please contact the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 to schedule a pre-inspection or to participate inthe Landscape Survey Program.
2. After completion of a pre-inspection survey, return the completed Request for Application Form to the District by fax or mail. Contact information is listed below.
3. Once District staff receives your Request for Application Form, a staff person will contact you and serve as your point of contact throughout the rebate process. The District will mail you an Application Packet.
4. Read the Terms and Conditions provided in your Application Packet and review the SCVWD Qualifying Plant List and Qualifying Weather-Based Irrigation Controller List and Qualifying High Efficiency Nozzle List for qualifying plants and hardware selections.
5. Complete the application and submit to the district with the following:
- 4 to 6 current photos of your existing landscape that you plan to convert
- List of qualifying plants you intend to include in the converted landscape area to meet the 50% plant coverage requirement
- Include a simple diagram with the application that demonstrates the qualifying landscape area that you plan to convert as well as the irrigation system that you plan to install/ upgrade
- Current copy of your water bill
- Completed and signed W-9. Rebates of $600 or more may be considered taxable income by the IRS/State
6. Once the district receives your application materials, District staff will review the information and contact you for any additional follow-up.
7.When all information is complete and you have provided sufficient information to the District that your project qualifies for the landscape conversion rebate and/or irrigation hardware rebate, the District will provide you with a written Notice to Proceed. You can begin your landscape conversion project and/or irrigation hardware upgrades once you have received a written Notice to Proceed.
8. Remove approved high water use landscape (i.e.irrigated turf or functional swimming pool) and install your project according to the program terms and conditions. If removing an existing swimming pool, all local building codes or permitting requirements must be met. Contact your local planning or building department for specifics.
9. You will have 90 days to complete your project from the date on your written Notice to Proceed. Once you have completed your project, call the District's Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 in order to schedule a post inspection and coordinate delivery of reciepts for qualifying irrigation equipment. District surveyors will meet with you on-site to measure any converted landscape area, check the irrigation system to verify that it meets the irrigation requirements, and verify that the project meets all of the terms and conditions of the program.
For more information on the Landscape Rebate Program, please contact the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 or:
Santa Clara Valley Water District
Att: Water Conservation
5750 Almaden Expressway
San Jose, CA 95118-3686
Phone (408) 630-2554
Fax: (408) 979-5639 - please do not fax photos or copies of receipts
- If your project meets all of the terms and conditions of the program and passes post inspection, the project will be approved for rebate.
- The landscape conversion rebate is based on the number of square feet of qualifying high water using landscape convertedto approved low water using landscape, as outlined in the LRP terms and conditions.
- The irrigation hardware rebate is based on the customer’s qualifying project costs and is limited by the specified rebate amounts for irrigation hardware. Qualifying hardware must be installed and operating correctly.
- Once you have received the maximum amount of rebate for landscape conversion and have converted all qualifying pre-existing irrigation hardware, you can no longer participate in the Landscape Rebate Program.
- Rebates are paid on a first come-first served basis and are only available until funds are depleted or June 30, 2015, whichever occurs first.