The District actively encourages and promotes small and local businesses. The District's Small Business Enterprises Guide provides further information. The Guide to Doing Business with the District provides information about the District's procurement methods, policies, and procedures.
With this goal in mind, the District provides up to 5 percent rating preference to small and micro businesses during the evaluation of bids and proposals. To be eligible for this preference, a business must be certified as a Small or Micro Business by the California Department of General Services (DGS).
The District uses California Department of General Services definitions which are summarized below:
- Small Business – 100 or fewer employees and average annual gross receipts of $14 million or less over the previous three years
- Micro Business – 25 or fewer employees and average annual gross receipts of $3.5 million or less over the previous three years
Visit the DGS website (www.dgs.ca.gov) for information about certification and more detailed definitions.
During bid or proposal evaluation, the priority for applying the preference is:
- Highest ranked micro business
- Highest ranked small business
- Non-small business subcontracting with the highest percent of micro businesses in highest ranked order
- Non-small business, subcontracting with the highest percent of small businesses in highest ranked order
The preference credits for prime contractors or consultants who are NOT certified small/micro businesses, but who meet the RFP's subcontracting goals are:
- 3% for a minimum 30% participation of subcontractor(s)
- 4% for a minimum 40% participation of subcontractor(s)
- 5% for a minimum 50% participation of subcontractor(s)
Federally funded projects at the District are governed by the regulations, standards, and criteria set forth by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Title 13 Code of Federal Regulations governs the SBA. Please visit SBA's website located at www.sba.gov for further information.
The District's main telephone number is 408-265-2607. Please use the extension numbers below to contact staff. Further contact information for individual staff is available at Contact Us link.